Thursday, October 18, 2007

So...uh..where's the bathroom???



Where to begin.....we just got back from a trip around the country. We traveled to meet new believers and others who are searching for the truth. We drove all day on Tuesday and made a stop to give some materials to a young guy who wants to study more of God's Word. We were with him for a few hours and then it was back in the car again. We had a good friend of ours with us who is from here and is a new believer himself. He was such an encouragement to us. My husband and him talked nearly the entire trip about Jesus and The Bible. He is excited to know that he now has the truth. It seems like all this guy does is read the Bible!!! Even in the car....when there was a break in the conversation he was reading his New Testament. I felt sick at even the thought of reading in the car on those winding roads.

.... As we continued driving, it was getting late. Or friend mentioned that we were relatively close to the "city" where his family lives. Or to explain it better, the tiny little village very far away from evertything where our friend grew up. ( Lets just say I can see why he lives in the city now!!) Because we were so close he suggested that we stay in the village with his family.......uh....okay...I guess....So we continued on , first we came to the turn off of the main road. There was a sign there for the next city so I thought we didn't have much farther to go. Wrong! After passing through a very small city the road got extremely narrow and dark. We went further on the loosely paved road. After maybe 1/2 hour I saw faint lights in the distance. (Honestly at that point I was relieved to know that they at lest had electricity!) We soon parked our car and grabbed all our belongings and began the walk to his house. It was incredibly dark. Finally we arrived at his home. His super nice family welcomed us in. We sat and ate in their two room home. They have two rooms that do not connect. You have to go outside to get from one room to the other. They have a dirt floor, two light bulbs hanging down and NO bathroom. Not even an outhouse! So it was a different experience for us to say the least. Honestly, I had a great time. I am thankful the Lord is allowing me these opportunites. The time at their house was awesome for language practice and learning about a culture very different from the culture of the "city people" here in this country. We all wore the same clothes the entire time we were there, partly for lack of place to change and secondly because they would find it strange we change our clothes everyday. I have to be honest, when I asked to go to the bathroom and I was lead down a dark to path...... I started to get frustrated. I thought about how I didn't want to be there. I stopped and asked God to help me, to help me appreciate these people,their way of life, the hard work they do everyday, and their hospitality to us. God answered my prayer. We had a wonderful time. I can say it was truly by God's GRACE!

No comments: