Friday, October 5, 2007

Bad Timing.

Last night we had a few people over for dinner.(People not from here.) So we were finishing up and I noticed that we had a lot of chocolate cake left over. I put it on a plate and thought it would be really nice to share it with my friends who live down stairs. They love our American desserts because they are sweeter than their traditional ones. So I grabbed the plate and headed down the elevator. I left my husband and everyone else talking at the table knowing I would only be a few minutes. (My friends knew we had guests.) I rang the doorbell and our friend's maid answered the door. Their house was very dark and quiet in a strange kind of way. She invited me in. She looked very hesitant, like she didn't know what to do, where to take me. Normally I would have been warmly greeted a few moments after entering by a few members of the family. I looked around...I quickly saw everyone......there they were, all of them, all the women of the family completely covered being lead in prayer by their father. To make it a little stranger for me, when Muslims pray they must pray in the direction of Mecca, so they were all facing the doorway I was standing in. I am sure they saw me, but they didn't even lift one eye in my direction. I stood still for a few awkward minutes and then I turned to the maid ( I am not sure if I forced her to interrupt her prayers or not.)and told her I was needed to go. I wishing she had never opened the door. This morning my friend called me and thanked me for the cake. She didn't mention my untimely visit. Before Ramadan this particular friend almost never spoke about Islam. I am not even sure sure if she prayed, but during Ramadan their prayers "count" for more points. *you can read about the points on my husbands blog.
Anyway, now all the stores are starting advertise all the traditional clothing and party type foods, because Ramadan will be over in a little more than a week and everyone is getting ready for the big bash they have to celebrate the end of fasting. Believe me I will be celebrating too, because I will be sooooo glad when Ramadan is OVER!!!!

No comments: