Monday, September 17, 2007

You won't find this on my husbands BLOG......

I was thinking since the food here is really amazing I would share a few things with you from time to time!!! Living in any culture different from your own means changing what you eat. Fitting into any other culture means learning to cook the food they eat. Praise God the food here is amazing. Sometimes really different, but I haven't eaten anything gross yet!!! If you are trying to diet this is not the place to come!
- Let me start by explaining HOW we eat here. No forks or knives needed. We eat from one huge plate/bowl in the center of the table. Here you eat the food by eating it with bread. Just scoop it up. It is a little messy but to them it is no big deal if you get food on the table or anything-it is normal. So, I actually think it is pretty fun. I try to make food from here every other day. Then I have our close friends taste test it.......one is really honest, if you know what I mean!!

So here is a recipe for a common dish: Lamb Tagine (you could use beef)

2lbs lamb or beef
1 Large chopped red onion
2-4 cloves of Garlic
1/2 tsp saffron colorant
1/2 tsp ginger
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 cube beef bouillon
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 C olive oil


-Saute all the above ingredients in the oil until the onion is tender. Add 2 Cups of water and simmer just until the meat is tender -but NOT mushy. (or you can put everything in a pressure cooker.)
Add a variety of vegetables listed below. With the veggies add 2 grated tomatoes ( just grate the whole thing, the peeling will separate.) 1/2 hour before the meat is finished.

Suggested veggies:
green beans (not canned) peas, carrots, cauliflower. For an extra good Tagine fry the cauliflower with an egg before adding it.

Depending on the quantity of vegetables this serves 6-8 people. It is great the second day too!

* I hope that is understandable* Learning to cook in another language is always a challenge...but that's another post!

2 comments:

April Baker said...

Great job J.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the recipe! My 5th grade class studies the the World and I have been looking for recipes to make for them to try. Thanks for the all the insights!