Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Such a Spirtiual Thing to Do!!!!

Today I had a really disturbing experience! I went to practice Arabic with my friend at her store. I usually go and just sit and talk with her for an hour or so. She is rather forceful with correcting me so really she is just what I need! Anyway, first I should in saying I went to her "store" I am being really generous with that word. Her "store" is the size of a small bathroom. So we were just sitting there talking....as women do best... and these SUPER MUSLIMS came in, you know the fully covered can't see their face all black type. I always feel like they think I am dressed awful or that my hair is just creating such a problem here. So I am always uncomfortable around them. I mean come on, all you can see is two tiny dark eyes....a little spooky right???? Well, they were especially strange because they came in asking to see the clothes that were hung up directly over our heads. They were hovering.....I hate when people hover.......they were almost leaning on me...AHHHHHHHHH. (People here have no concept of the whole personal space idea, you know your bubble...) Anyway, as my friend and I were helping get down the clothes they supposedly wanted to see, evidently in that moment the lady was not focused on the clothes as we were, because they STOLE MY PURSE! They were gone about two minutes when I noticed my bag was not were I had left it. Which was about an arms reach from me. In the movement of us lowering the hanging clothes and offering our assurance the clothing was nice they had stolen my purse. I was shocked! I am not going to lie......I was super MAD! So many thoughts were racing through my mind. I felt so taken advantage of. It is hard sometimes to think good of people, you know to trust people. But when you get burned like that... The crazy thing was that it was head covered women, not poor dressed "wordly" women. I was robbed by supposedly the example of Spirituality. Hummm.. I asked my friend this question," So I am a foreigner right, and Follower of Jesus, NOT a Muslim. You want to me to like and respect your religion when my things just got stolen for the most spiritual among you....?" She was quiet, her usually holier than thou answers didn't seem to flow in this situation. I explained that though I was upset it was only things that I lost and things are not what brings happiness.


To be honest when things like this happen, I get mad. I really loose compassion for the people here. It is easy to do. They are so aggressive and critical. I always have to keep reminding myself that they really don't know any better. They have NO hope and nothing to live for. My husband reminded me as we were walking down the street with me crying after the whole ordeal that God has given us so much and I have to be an example of His Grace. Man, it is humbling...I just wanted to be mad at that lady. I wanted to take out all my feelings of frustration with this culture on her. I wanted to go off about hypocrisy and about how everything they do is for show. My flesh so weak. Praise God, He helped me overcome all my anger towards them.( For today, I have to seek continually to know the mind of Christ.) I know that lady as well as all the other Muslims just need Jesus. Only by His blood can they have a new life. Only by the Word can they really learn how to fear God and live Holy lives....I can't expect honesty and peace.

No comments: