Sunday, November 11, 2007

"So thats why you guys have so many Bibles!!"

I am so excited as I write this! Yesterday God gave me an awesome opportunity to share the Gospel completely with my friend who works in our house watching our children when we go to language school. She is usually a very hard case to crack. She rarely smiles and anytime I say anything about Jesus she is super fast with something about Mohammad. She fasted extra days after Ramadan to earn more points with God. When I have talked with her in the past she has always had a little smirk on her face. And a pitiful type little look every time I mess up my Arabic. But....PRAISE GOD, not yesterday!!!!! It began while she was helping me go through a lesson in my language school book. While we read many names we have in both Arabic and English, (OT names.) she asked me if we named our boys Issa (the Muslim name for Jesus. Not the same as Yesua El Mesih -Jesus the Messiah. A little confusing I know.) Anyway I told her we don't name our boys His name because there is no one like Him. And no man deserves His honorable name. She shook her head in agreement. She then said, "I will not name my son Mohammad because you are right." And so our conversation went out of our language school book to the names of God, to rights of citizenship.....why you ask???? Because if she has a baby in the USA her baby is a citizen of both America and this country. If I have a baby here my baby is American only. This is a Muslim country and they want to keep it that way. I am always talking about how in the USA we have Christians, Muslims, Hindus, etc. I explained while saying "I 'm sorry." over and over ( you can say anything as long as you apologize here!) about all our freedoms. She was extremely interested. Sooooo....I took it a step farther. "In my country and in South America were I lived we have the freedom to study and learn about other religions, to go to any Mosque or Church or Temple we choose to." I explained how I am not allowed into the Mosque here. She was shocked. I told her about how in America you can buy huge beautiful Korans and tons of books about Islam. Or course she thought that was great. Then I told her the thing that hurts my heart is that if I were to lose my Bible I could not even buy a new one. She reasoned," Oh, because it is in English or Spanish..." I stopped her, "No, because you can't buy a Bible of any kind here."( I didn't want to go into the fact they are illegal.) She then started smiling...."Oh, now I understand why you all have so many, because your husband has the tendency to lose things." HAHAHAHA!!
From there I got to witness to her completely, we both believe that Jesus is coming back so I started there. I explained that Jesus DID die(Muslims don't believe Jesus died they believe He was called up to Heaven.) She surprised me by asking "WHY??" I explained everything to her. Near the end of our conversation I asked her if she had ever eaten food from Turkey. She told me "No." I then asked her if it was good or not? She laughed and told me she didn't know. She knew exactly what I was getting at. She told me food is like religion. You can't know the truth until you "try"it. She left promising to read the NT I had given her awhile back. I told her to begin with John and Romans. Please pray that she does. Tomorrow or the next day I am planning to show her the Jesus film in this dialect of Arabic. PLEASE PRAY!!! When she left yesterday she thanked me for our conversation and told me she knew it was very important. She told me she loved me as a sister. I was shocked, all this from the girl who prays in my son's room and always has a stone cold face. Please pray for her.

1 comment:

tess said...

Praise the Lord for all he is doing there! I will pray!